Test of Workplace Essential Skills (TOWES)
The demands of changing workplaces can be challenging for some employees to keep pace with new technologies, safety and productivity standards. It is becoming increasingly important for employers to ensure workers have the skills necessary to adapt. The Government of Canada and other national and international agencies identified and validated key Essential Skills for the workplace. Conestoga College is a licensed distributor of TOWES, an assessment tool that measures three of the nine Essential Skills.
- is a valid, un-biased and reliable assessment tool that can benefit employers, employees and those seeking employment.
- measures three workplace Essential Skills: reading text, document use and numeracy.
- uses a variety of authentic trade-specific workplace documents in its test materials (schedules, order forms, labels, schematics catalogue entries etc.).
- provides a credential for use in seeking employment.
Test takers interested in upgrading should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Employers can use TOWES as a screening tool for hiring and training decisions, for succession planning and to increase or maintain high quality and safety levels.
- Employees can use TOWES to assess their current level of proficiency, related to their occupation or career goals.
- Unemployed individuals/Career Changers can use TOWES to identify their skill level or gaps related to particular job category
- Graduating students can take a TOWES credential to their employment interviews.
- Learn more about the skills & knowledge required for Canadian occupations at the workingincanada.gc.ca tool
- Explore career by Essential Skills profiles that provide examples of the type and complexity of workplace tasks
- Review Conestoga’s partnerships with industry for an example of a workplace training solutions
Cost and Availability
- Contact Sherri Tryon, Manager Workforce Access Programs, 519-772-4605 x5604 or email@example.com for dates, times and locations of the tests.
- The cost of the assessment is $79.50 + HST. This is a non-refundable fee.
- Some individuals, particularly those who are unemployed, may qualify for financial assistance to cover the cost of the test.
- Employers interested in group assessments at their work site or for large groups, contact Sherri Tryon for customized services.
TOWES is the sole property of Bow Valley College and is sold through authorized distributors only. Visit www.towes.com for more information regarding assessments.