Conestoga College Logo - Home Page

Eligibility Documentation

Students are responsible for providing relevant and up-to-date documentation of their disability to register with Accessibility Services. It is best to have documentation on file before making an appointment. This way we can more quickly provide you access to the accommodations and services that you need.

Who we Serve

Accessibility Services provides accommodation supports for people with:


Accommodations are determined with your Accessibility Advisor based on your needs, your program requirements and your documentation. Documentation is helpful to support your need for accommodations. Depending on the accommodation need, our office may ask for additional, updated, or more specific documentation. Receiving this documentation in advance of your first appointment will assist us in providing an accommodation plan more quickly.

OSAP Disability Verification

OSAP requires that documentation for a permanent disability be on file in Accessibility Services in order to verify disability status.  Disability verification with OSAP may allow students to access awards, scholarships, grants, and bursaries.

Please note: If you have checked the disability box on the OSAP website, it may delay your funding until disability verification is received in Accessibility Services. You can ask Financial Aid to uncheck the box until you have the documents in place. Send an email from the address you posted on your OSAP account with your student name, number and say you would like to remove the disability status. Your status will be adjusted once the documents are on file in Accessibility Services.

Who can verify a permanent disability?

Documentation to confirm a permanent disability may be provided by a qualified health practitioner who has training and experience with the area of diagnosis. Examples of qualified practitioners include:

Documentation for Physical or Mental Health Condition

Documentation for physical or mental health conditions needs to be on the letterhead of a qualified health practitioner or on Conestoga's Health Certificate Form (pdf) and may contain the following:

Individualized Education Plan

Accessibility Services will accept most IEP for temporary basic academic accommodations. While an IEP may provide valuable information to help us understand what support was available to you in high school, your IEP is not considered adequate documentation for permanent disability status for the purposes of OSAP verification. When you meet with your Accessibility Advisor you can discuss what funding may be available to assist you with further assessment, if considered necessary.

Documentation for Learning Disabilities

Students with learning disabilities who request academic accommodation must provide a current psycho-educational assessment performed by a registered psychologist or psychological associate and completed when you were at least 18 years of age or within the past five years. (Documentation that is more than five years old will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.) The document must contain a diagnostic statement of a confirmed learning disability in order to qualify for permanent status.

If you wish to obtain a copy of a psycho-educational assessment that was completed for you during elementary or high school through the Ontario school system, you should refer to your Ontario School Record (OSR).

Getting an Assessment Done

If you cannot provide a current assessment for a learning disability you may be asked to get one.  The Counsellor in Accessibility Services will check to see if you are eligible for funding for reassessment. If allowed, you will be referred to a psychologist or psychological associate to obtain this documentation.

Learning Disability Screening

If you have no previous documentation but suspect you have a learning disability, make an appointment with Counselling ext. 3360 or with a Learning Skills Advisor at ext. 2308 and request to have a learning disability screening done at your campus.

Documentation for ADHD/ ADD

Documentation for a permanent diagnosis of ADHD/ ADD must be done by a qualified ADHD specialist, including a registered psychologist with ADHD training, a neuro-psychologist, a psychological associate, or a relevantly trained medical doctor. The document can either be a psycho-educational assessment or a medical report.

Confidentiality and Retention of Documentation

All information shared with Accessibility Services will remain confidential to the staff associated with the department and will be stored securely for a period of 10 years after which the documentation will be shredded.

Please be aware that email is not a secure method of providing medical information. If you would like to send in your documentation ahead of time, please use our secure fax at 519-748-3507.

Back To Top